Saturday, December 8, 2012

gingerbread



It's a must, gingerbread at Christmas time.

We have made our gingerbread house, and I have high hopes of making a couple of smaller ones as gifts for teachers. I've tried a few gingerbread recipes over the years, including thermomix ones that involve melting butter and golden syrup and just seem way too involved for my liking. I always go back to the old faithful, my mum's gingerbread recipe.

I've converted it for the thermomix, in case you'd like to give it a try. It is the best.


Thermomix Gingerbread


125g butter
90g brown sugar
1 egg
125g plain flour
185g self-raising flour
1tsp bicarb soda
1tbsp ground ginger
2 tbsp honey

Measure all ingredients into your mixer bowl.
Mix 15 sec, speed 5/6.
Closed lid position, knead for 1 - 1 1/2 minutes, or until you have a nice dough.

Turn out onto cling wrap, and gather together to form a ball. Wrap, and chill for 30 minutes, or overnight.

Divide into portions and roll out to about 3mm thickness.
Cut shapes and bake at 180C got 10-15 or until golden.

Will crisp on cooling, so don't overcook!

To decorate, pipe royal icing, and stick on some goodies.
(and don't turn your back on any two year olds who may be lurking around to pinch them off!)
Happy baking! 

xx

8 comments:

  1. That looks divine! Love the snowmen! (I agree - Christmas and gingerbread just seem to go together - that gorgeous spicy smell!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh way too easy Em, thankyou! We are making gingerbread this week so I'll be using your recipe for some and I'll do a gf batch as well. I'll let you know how it goes x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe, we're doing gingerbread houses next weekend: my girls are 16 and 19-you're never too old!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your gingerbread house looks so cute with the tealights inside..I've never thought of doing that before!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just may have to get the original version off you me thinks ;)
    Looks amazing Em, nice job!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too easy. I've been looking for a recipe to make some for Aila's kindy teachers. . . and yours is a thermomix recipe too. Bonus!

    rachel xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just about to look for a thermomix gingerbread recipe too :) thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

I love that you visited, and love LOVE that you took time to say hello!